For the past year I’ve been compiling a list of model train stores for my model railroading website. These shops all look like a lot of fun to visit, but what are the most popular? Here is a list for the states of North Carolina and South Carolina.
The most popular model railroading shops (based on online chatter) in North Carolina and South Carolina are:
10. The Hobby House in Hendersonville, North Carolina
9. Todd’s Train Depot in Wendell, North Carolina
8. Little Choo Choo Shop in Spencer, North Carolina
7. Rail and Spike Trains in Easley, South Carolina
6. The Train Loft in Winston Salem, North Carolina
5. Factory Direct Trains in Asheville, North Carolina
4. Blue Ridge Hobbies in Greenville, South Carolina
3. Time Zone Hobbies and Toys in Aiken, South Carolina
2. Tom’s Train Station in Raleigh, North Carolina
…and the most popular shop for model trains in North Carolina or South Carolina is…
1. Greensboro Electric Trains in Greensboro, North Carolina
Hobby shops not quite making my top 10 were ABC RC Hobby in Forest City, North Carolina; Chuck’s Trains in Landis, North Carolina; Dry Bridge Station in Mount Airy, North Carolina; Hayes Hobby House in Fayetteville, North Carolina; Leland’s Toy Trains and Planes in Hildebran, North Carolina; Zoo Toys and Trains in Wilmington, North Carolina; Hobby Station in Bethune, South Carolina; New Brookland RR and Hobby in West Columbia, South Carolina; SVC Trains in Georgetown, South Carolina; and The Great Escape Bicycles and Hobby Shop in Spartanburg, Anderson, and Greenville, South Carolina.